Saturday, November 1, 2008

More Sam simons Projects...

Here's something to give you an idea of the kind of attention to detail he has. Fantastic work!

From his recent E-mail:


I've done some 'different' projects since the RD-K500,only one of them being as 'intense' and as involved as the RD-K. That would be the little Gilera 124 army dispatch bike.

You may get a kick out of this bike....
I was wanting to do something military for a change,and a chum/collector had to Gileras to offer.
Both were 1967 /_*SEARS*_/ 124's(Gilera),and one had only 38 miles use!(with traditional rust and faded color).
To make a long story(and project) short,Steve,it was a more challenging task than I expected;trying to come away with a finished product that was convincingly real/original. I think that I did that,but it was very similar to the RD-K in time spent......really. Literally,any pieces/features not found on the stock SEARS 124 that are present on the 'Gilera 124 Militare' were either new fabrication(i.e,seat, rack,air cleaner) or heavily 'massaged' oem parts(i.e,forks,shock location,both fenders).The handlebars began life as RZ350 units.
It does fool the 'experts'. Another chum took the silver 124,and did a beautiful little vintage Italian ISDT machine.

I done a couple of other 'odd' vehicles too,but I'll save that for another email to you.....






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please check out my other blog!

Blogs I'm Following